2012 United States Mint America the Beautiful Quarters Proof Set
The 2012 United States Mint America the Beautiful Quarters Proof Set™ features five proof quality coins representative of the five circulating quarter dollars issued by the US Mint during the year as part of the America the Beautiful Quarters® Program. The set was released on January 17, 2012 for a price of $14.95.
Coins of the set are struck to proof quality at the US Mint's facility in San Francisco. As such, each bears an 'S' mintmark. Typical circulating quarter dollars are struck at the US Mint's facility in Philadelphia and the US Mint's facility in Denver.
The five coins to be included in the 2012 Quarters Proof Set are:
- 2012-S El Yunque America the Beautiful Quarter - representing El Yunque National Forest of Puerto Rico
- 2012-S Chaco Culture America the Beautiful Quarter - representing Chaco Culture National Historical Park of New Mexico
- 2012-S Acadia America the Beautiful Quarter - representing Acadia National Park of Maine
- 2012-S Hawaii Volcanoes America the Beautiful Quarter - representing Hawaii Volcanoes National Park of Hawaii
- 2012-S Denali America the Beautiful Quarter - representing Denali National Park of Alaska
The quarters contain a reverse design emblematic of the selected sites of national interest.
The America the Beautiful Quarters Program debuted in 2010 and features five new strikes released annually as part of it. Each strike honors a different site of national interest on its reverse with one site chosen from each state, the District of Columbia and the five US Territories.
The obverse of each quarter dollar contains the same portrait of George Washington, the first President of the United States. This portrait was originally designed by John Flanagan and included on the 1932 circulating quarter dollar. This same image has since been used on the quarters, with slight modifications, ever since.
Coins of the set are enclosed in a protective lens allowing the holder to view both the obverse and reverse of each included quarter.
In addition to this set, the US Mint also produces a 2012 Quarters Silver Proof Set.
America the Beautiful Proof Quarter Specifications
Composition: 8.33% Nickel, 91.67% copper
Weight: 5.670 g
Diameter: 24.26 mm
Date of Issue: 2012
Obverse Designer/Sculptor: John Flanagan
Reverse Designer/Sculptor: Based on Design